Saturday 11 October 2008

Grumpy old Man -Can anyone play Jazz

Today I was acused of being an internet Grumpy Old Man. So I thought I'd go the whole hog. At the college I attend they have music workshop on Saturday mornings and they do Jazz in the coffee shop at lunchtime. I can't help but notice a common personal profile -men of about 60, many with beards, who wear scruffy T-shirts and jeans. It seem that if you can play 3 chords, preferably in random order, you have all the skill necessary to be a Jazz musician. I fell like shouting "For ****'s sake grow up you old f***ts", but resist out of cowardice. Jasper Carrot used to have a routine "the 4 minute warning" about the neuclear threat before Russia became a dictatorship. One of his lines was "what can you do in 4 mins" and one of the cleaner suggested responses was "learn to play any musical instrument as well as Linda McCartney". The alternate is learn to play jazz and compose an utterly forgetful "?". I'm not sure what the word is for "?" since Jazz doesn't do melody or tune -just pseudo random chord sequences. The good news is that almost no-one reads this post, so little offence will be caused. Anyway they're all so old I do not fear for my personal safety. This blog entry also demonstrates the first law of the blogsphere, most blogs are either offensive, irrelevant or without intellectual merit (or indeed all three).

No comments: